Border Crossing


If you are a citizen of the United States, you will need to bring one of the following to prove your citizenship:

If it is not listed above, it does not prove citizenship.

The following do not prove U.S. citizenship

If you are a Resident Alien of the U.S., you must bring either a valid U.S. Resident Alien card, or a valid I-551 stamp in your valid passport.

If you are a citizen of any other country, you must be in possession of a valid passport. Some countries require visas. For a list of those countries, please go to - and access the list of countries requiring visas. These can be obtained from any Canadian Embassy or Consulate - you will also find a list of those on the website as well. You should apply at least six weeks in advance for a visa if required.

Persons with police records:

Due to increased security concerns, criminality checks are being run on an ever increasing basis. If you have ever been convicted of any crime, it is highly recommended you contact your nearest Canadian Embassy or Consulate at - and access the list to find out where the closest one is. Note: there are crimes considered minor in some countries such as operating while impaired ("drunk driving") or writing a bad cheque (check) which are federal offences in Canada - and these will stop you from being able to enter Canada. Please check to be on the safe side. If you are refused entry, you will forfeit your membership and will be charged for one night for hotel even after cancellation.

Items which may not be brought into Canada:

There is a long list of Prohibited Weapons - objects which are illegal in Canada. Some things on this list include nun chucks, or spiked wristbands. Please go to for more information.

There are also a number of items listed as prohibited due to being on the Endangered Species list. More information on this topic and other things that cannot be brought into Canada can be found at

Also see: Customs

Last updated: 16 August 2003

Send comments or suggestions to